Saturday 26 July 2008

MobileMe - the road to nowhere


In a very unusual move for the control freaks at Apple it seems that Steve himself has sanctioned a blog to report on the continuing travails with the newly launched MobileMe.

The first line goes as follows:

"Steve Jobs has asked me to write a posting every other day or so to let everyone know what's happening with MobileMe, and I'm working directly with the MobileMe group to ensure that we keep you really up to date."

And the last:

"We'll post another update later this weekend to report on status..."

I am hoping for some real honesty as I can report the following issues just in my small circle of MM users:

  • My mother-in-law has been unable to access email for more than a week, during which time her account expired and the billing did not auto reactivate (as it was set to). I can now not get the authorisation through to bring her back online.
  • I ordered the Family Pack in order to rationalise 2 accounts for my wife and a third for myself (which we only use for calendar and contact syncing) and after 8 attempts it seems one of them was successful insofar as one of her 2 accounts now shows as Family Member but there is no sign of the Master Family account so I have no idea how to manage this.
  • During that process I received some comical server error pages - my favorite being attached.
I am now at a complete loss when it comes to resolving these issues as support chat is taking days, the phones are useless and there seems to be little acknowledgement that the card payment system is on the fritz.

Therefore, my hope for the blog and the author's comments later this weekend.

No comments: