Monday 18 February 2008

Apple Computer Inc - using my house as a promotional tool without permission!

I was in the Apple Store in Regent's Street and was getting my first hands-on time with the MacBook Air and I was wowed by the size (really very small), the weight (super slim) and the overall quality - and I thought I'd try out the funky gestures in iPhoto. So I open it up and obviously it comes pre-loaded with some Events for people to browse through and amongst them is Tropical Beach House - and, this is where it gets a little odd, about 8 of these glossy, people-having-fun-and-larking-around marketing type shots (you know the sort of things that make up the images in the iLife templates) were taken at a rental villa that I own in the Caribbean. The place is completely uncredited but here are a group of young people sipping beer by the pool, snapping the sunset from the dock, laughing on the terrace etc etc!

You can see the whole lot of shots, and the shots I took of the same images on iPhoto on machines throughout the Apple Store (2 MacBook Airs, 1 Black MacBook, 1 Mac Pro) here:

Apple Store shots of Gun Point, Tortola

And the main website here for comparison purposes: Gun Point

The house looks great which I am thrilled about (as it would in Apple ad-world) but surely this is tantamount to marketing, and shouldn't Apple maybe have contacted me to say that it was using them? The guests did come and pay normal rates for the week but there was no suggestion that they were anything other than holidaying types.

What do you guys think?

No comments: