Saturday 15 December 2007

Canon 50mm f/1.4

So previously I have been mature enough to understand that my desire to buy new camera kit came from my tech & gadget inclinations rather than any real belief that the Canon 5D would actually make a huge difference to the quality of my photos. But then the guys over at Mac Break Weekly kept going on about the Canon 50mm f/1.4 (or f/1.2 if you can stomach the 500% increase in cost) and what a wonderful lens it is.

So I bought it yesterday and I have to say that it has single-handedly improved my photography. The fact that there is no zoom aspect means you just concentrate on composition by moving around, the low-light ability means that you don't have to rock a Speedlight on top (which is a piece of kit I still can't get good results out of) and being f/1.4 it produces some wonderful depth of field, and indeed bokeh (check it out on wikipedia as I can't explain it nearly as well as they can).

Truly a revelation and great fun. I urge any interested photography fans to wind one onto their DSLR soon.

No comments: